Saturday, January 29, 2011

REVIEW: If You Deceive by Kresley Cole

4 Floozies
If You Deceive (MacCarrick Brothers, #3)

Ethan MacCarrick saw her from afar while trying to help capture and kill his brothers enemy.  Being severely scared he had not know the touch of a woman in years.  But something about this young woman made him want to.  He found a mask, the woman, and a few moments alone with her.  And his life changed forever.
Madeline VanRowan was at a loss.  What should she do next.  She was unable to secure a suitable marriage and had no choice but to marry the older man her mother promised Maddy to before she died.  So when the masked hunk of a man approach her at the ball and then seduced her in his carrage she wanted one real experience before she gave herself to the older man.
Things do not go as planned and Ethan ends up leaving Maddy so upset she runs back to her home in Paris, really her hovel.  Ethan realizes who Maddy is; the daughter of his late enemy and conviences himself he need to ruin her life becuase of what her parents did.  He tracks her down in Paris and proceeds to offer her more than she was refuse, as a ruse of course.
Up, downs, confessions, and secrets: how many can there be before you realize your one true love is not meant to be?  Or no matter what, does true love conquers all?


What a great way to end a great series. The MacCarrick Brother's books are in direct order to my enjoyment of them. Court's book was enjoyable but not as much as Hugh's and Hugh's not as much as Ethan's.


People: LOVED Ethan!! When he appeared in the first two I had very strong dislike for him. I was doubting Ms. Cole's ability to work him into a lovable enough character. He's mean, scary, angry, rude, withdrawn, etc . . . How was he going to get involved in a relationship let alone HEA? Well, I stand corrected. And like many men, it's all due in part to the woman! Maddy is my hero. She is sweet, kind, determined, driven, and focused. My heart continually broke for her but she put her big girl panties on and proved to me that you may be down, you are most certainly not out!


Plot: Riches to rags to riches to death bed to HEA . . . gotta love it!  The moments that Ethan realizes what Maddy has had to live through because of him are so sad, I cried for her many times.


Sizzle: I have a hard time giving Kresley Cole's novels 5/5 stars because the pace of the romancing is not my cup of tea. I don't like when characters jump into bed within 50 pages but something more has to happen before page 300 (exaggeration, but you get my drift). There has been only one book of Ms. Cole's (No Rest for the Wicked) that has fit my preferred pace. I keep reading because I love her characters, but I just can't go 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...