Saturday, February 26, 2011

REVIEW: The Darkest Hour by Maya Banks

GoodRead Blurb: Intelligence: high. Body: hard. Mission: what no one else can do.
It's been a year since ex-Navy SEAL Ethan Kelly saw his wife Rachel alive. Now he's received an anonymous phone call claiming Rachel is alive. To find her, Ethan will have to doge bullets, cross a jungle, and risk falling captive to a deadly drug cartel that threatens his own demise.


This was a GREAT book!  One of the best suspense/romance novels I have read in while.  I stated in a previous blog that I was  surprised by the length of time it took to get down to business.  AND I WAS!!  Maya Banks usually delivers, and delivers hard, fast, strong, etc . . .  Well, The Darkest Hour was not like books I've read from her before but it suited.  It had the best build up v. nookie ratio I've read in a long while.  I grab Maya Banks for erotica but this was definitely romance/suspense.
I hold a special place in my heart for Ethan and Rachel.  I cried on Ethan's shoulder when he was hurting.  I just go gaga over a man that cries!!  But he was a douche bag and screwed up a great relationship.  He regretted his mistake and hoped to make it up to Rachel when she returned from her trip.  He did not get the chance because she died in a plane accident, or so he thought, for a year!!  My mom always told me to say your "Goodbye's" and "I Love You's" because you never know if you will see that person again.  And Ethan is literary proof.  Rachel ends not being killed, but held captive in the jungle where she was doing her missionary work.  They get her back and the work to rebuild her sanity and their relationship is an uphill battle.
I liked Rachel and her struggle and determination to remember life before she was held captive and to gain her strength back.  As always with Maya Banks, the characters are well-defined, relatable, and the men are hunky beef cakes.  I always love a good family series, and I can not wait for the other brothers books!  And who would not love Marlene and Frank Kelly.  What a great matriarch!  Strong and soft, exactly what a mother of 5 boys would have to be.  And Garrett . . . *sigh*  Such a softy!  He cares for Rachel and would protect her over his brother any day, gotta love having that in your corner.
I gonna make a prediction . . . Rusty and Sean are gonna hook up later on down the road!  He's only 10 years older than her and is already starting that bristling attitude thing that guys do when they shouldn't find someone attractive but do!!  Give it 7 KGI years, Rusty will be 23 and Sean will be 33.  Can't you just image all the delectable interactions to come!  Maybe throw in a marriage for Sean and then a divorce giving him a woe is me, I'm never marrying again attitude.  Then walks in pierced and dyed Rusty to complement his straight laced sheriff demeanor . . . maybe I should start writing books :D
Don't be swayed by me Ms. Banks, you keep doing your thing, cause it's working!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...