Tuesday, February 7, 2012

REVIEW: One More Summer by Liz Flaherty


One More Summer by Liz Flaherty
3 Floozies




Normally,  I like to rate & review the technical and emotional aspects of a book as one because 99.9% of the time they are inseparable. One More Summer is the .1% hold out. I was so emotionally devastated and technically irritated it would be impossible for me to combine them.



Technically: The author left me confused many times throughout this book. Scene changes with no lead in, pivotal information that is just assumed and never explained or introduced. And wholly guacamole, how many different sub-plots can one book have. It seemed I was continuously rereading to make sure I got the characters, scene, plot, etc. correct.


Technical Score: 2/5 floozies


Emotionally: I hate this book! Not really, I was just too upset and sad the whole way through. I read as a form of escapism not so I can be reminded of just how crappy life can be for some people. Ms. Flaherty must have missed the class about happy endings. All joking aside, I am more than aware of the injustices inflicted on good people. Most books take those injustices and wrap them up in a pretty bows. Things hardly ever work out the way they do in romance novels and to 'dock' this book because it did not come with a happy ending would be an injustice in and of itself. Still doesn't mean I'm happy about it. There is a line Dillion spoke that sums up this book perfectly:

"This isn't a book you get out of the library and read on Saturday night, Gracie. In those books, the endings are happy, all the strings neatly tied, and the hero and heroine's story is the one that counts. If we're the lead characters in this story, we're not doing a very good job of it because right now we're not the ones who matter most."
Yup, pretty much.



And talk about water works, oh boy! After this book and the last one I read (Sunrise Point) I need to restock my tissue. I have never experienced half of the horrible things Grace had to endure, but I have suffered the loss of a best friend. Shoot, I'm crying as I write this :( "Better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all," right? The bond that Grace and Promise have goes beyond sisters, kindred spirits is exactly what it is. Grace's hound-dog, self sacrifice, second fiddle attitude bugged me. I get the why, but it will always be something I have a hard time truly understand. Dillion was depressing too. Grace shares and he won't, way to go husband. Then again, the book and marriage was not truly about them.


In the end, One More Summer is a depressing, true-to-life account of how crappy life can be and how blessed we should all feel for the love and support from those who really matter in our lives. I kept reading waiting for things to turn around for Grace and they never did. Once again I realized, waiting gets you nowhere, getting up and doing something about it is the only way to live.

Emotionally: 4 Floozies




So, I guess 3/5 floozies would be the fairest rating. I'm not opposed to more Liz Flaherty books, but for the love of Pete, can you make them just a smidgen more happy?





Thank you NetGalley.com for providing me with this ebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...